Translation Question - CORRECTION!

Sat Nov 13 16:13:36 UTC 2004

J.W. wrote:
> Ottawa (Canada), Saturday 13/11/04 9h30 EST
>
> CORRECTION!  I wrote too soon.
>
> While a reply from one Russian native speaker indeed saw no difference
> between the terms "pjataja kolonna" and "pjata grafa" (indicating that
> "pjataja grafa" may be used that way by some Russians), another
> respondent reminded me of the very important distinction between the
> two, which completely slipped by mind earlier (even though I have known
> about this in the past).
>
> "Pjataja grafa" is used to refer to the indication of one's
> "nationality" or ethnic background in the Soviet internal passport.  Its
> English equivalent would depend upon the context.  In some contexts
> something like "ethnic designation" might fit.  Or it might be worth
> adding an explanatory footnote.
>
> My humble apologies for my earlier 'conclusion', which may or may not
> have validity.

Another reason to steer clear of "fifth column" is that it usually means
"traitors from within."

BTW, if you omit a "Reply-To:" address, the listserv software will
insert its own and our replies will go to the list instead of to you
personally.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com