Questions Re: Pushkin Language Institute Moscow

Erich Drescher immerwanderlust at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 15 13:35:39 UTC 2004

Greetings,
I was given information about this listserv by a Russian Teacher/Professor/Translator in Canada.  I would appreciate any help you can give me.  I will also make use of all of the achives on the list.

Situation:

  I am  going to reward myself after finishing my MBA.  I want to learn a Slavic language.  I have over one year of time available.  I am  extremely interested in Russian (may also be interested in Croatian since I have a free apartment in Osijek) .  I have already learned one foreign language through an internationally known language institute.  I have reviewed a lot of information on Russian schools, and I cannot decide which are well respected institutes.  I do not need/want University Credit and have no desire to be working through a "middleman" University.  I am conscious of cost.   I am interested in taking intensive courses in a Slavic language starting in 2005.

Questions:
Is the Pushkin Institute of Russian Language in Moscow a good comprehensive school?  Is it safe?  It appears far "cheaper" than other similar schools.  Is this reflected in the teaching? Will good students be comfortable with the language after 15-18 months of studying?

Alternative:  What language schools are well respected?  What should a potential student be aware of?

Kind Regards,

Erich