Ukrainian Elections

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Nov 16 07:16:53 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Pursuant to this morning's appeal by Maria M. Dmytrieva, let me inform
you
that approximately 900 individuals have signed an *Appeal of the
International
Academic Community in Support of Democracy in Ukraine.*  The list of
signatories
includes scholars such as Homi K.Bhabha, Noam Chomsky, Nina Khrushcheva,
Gayatri Chakravorti Spivak, Mustapha Tlili, and Zvi Zohar.

The support of the international academic community has encouraged many
colleagues in Ukraine to part with fear and to sign as well. This is an
important step
toward the creation of civil society in Ukraine.

To read the Appeal both in Ukrainian and English, and to view the list
of signatories,
please visit the website of *Krytyka,* the Ukrainian equivalent of The
New York
Review of Books:

http://krytyka.kiev.ua/

(Scroll down the page for the text in English.)  The Appeal and list of
signatories will
soon appear in print, in the next issue of *Krytyka.*  However, it is
not too late to add
your signature online, if you so wish.

Regards,
Natalia Pylypiuk

On Nov 15, 2004, at 9:32 AM, Maria M. Dmytrieva wrote:
> Dear participants of the [SEELANGS] mailing list.
>
> I am addressing you as my country, Ukraine, is facing a real ordeal --
> and we are going to do whatever possible to protect our right for free
> self-determination.
> But we need support and help.
> [..]  Do not let the Soviet bureaucrat and crimial old-timers force
> our country to go the Bielorussian road.

Dr. Natalia Pylypiuk, Associate Professor
Modern Languages and Cultural StudiesĀ  http://www.mlcs.ca
200 Arts, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2E6
voice mail: (780) 492-3498

Canadian Association of Slavists
http://www.ualberta.ca/~csp/cas