Graduate Study in Slavic at UIUC

Uladzimir Katkouski uladzik at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 16 13:02:18 UTC 2004

> Dear Mr. Uladzimir Katkouski,

Dear Mr. Bogdan Sagatov,

> Comments such as yours do not contribute to the
> collegiality of a list
> service dedicated to the betterment of our
> profession.

1) Comments such as yours above do not contribute to
anything except for inciting an Ad Hominem attack.

On the other hand

2) The "betterment of our profession" here was to
point out how certain university programs neglect
"smaller" and "less important" Slavic language and yet
have audacity to claim to teach a "full range." I have
an inclination to think that there *is* some space for
"betterment" here or at least a need for an
explanation about what they mean by "full range" of
Slavic languages (if there is indeed such a term).

> My apologies to SEELANGS for a note intended for an
individiual member offline.

Somehow it did sound to me as if you really intended
to make it public. It doesn't matter. I'll send this
to the list as well, so that my answer gets heard, and
I get my point across (for the sake of all the people
who are interested in learning Slovak, Belarusan,
Macedonian or even Sorbian).

And I hope we'll be finished with the topic, because
the last thing I want is to start any kind of
off-topic, inflamatory discussions. Let us stay on
topic and be nice to each other.

Sincerely,
Uladzimir Katkouski
http://www.pravapis.org/