V Panjushkin in English

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Sat Nov 27 22:58:23 UTC 2004

Hello, again!  In my previous posting I sent a link to the Russian text
of Valerij Panjushkin's
article in gahttp://gazeta.ru/2004/11/26/oa_140841.shtml

For those who specialize in languages other than Russian, I send now a
translation into English,
prepared by Lisa Koriouchkina, for The Ukraine List,  which is compiled
by Professor Dominique Arel
(U of Ottawa).  Should you wish to subscribe to this list, please write
to: darel at uottawa.ca

Also, let me draw your attention that Ukraine's Independent Channel 5,
is available at
http://5tv.com.ua/newsline/118/0/2875/
It is currently broadcasting segments from  Majdan Nezalezhnosty
(Independence Square)
in Kyiv.

Best,
NP

Long Live Ukraine! (Slava Ukraine!)
by Valeriy Panyushkin
Special correspondent for Kommersant (Moscow)
26 November 2004; posted on gazeta.ru
[translated by Lisa Koriouchkina for UKL]

I am in Kiev. I saw people rejoicing. I saw a city square full of
people wearing orange scarves and jackets. One cannot glance over a sea
of people . I saw cars honking in rhythm with the slogan "Yushchenko!
Yushchenko!" It is happening not only downtown but also on any street
of the city. And it happens not only to encourage one's supporters but
to express one's joy as well. There are people on top of cars waving
flags and shouting. My feelings of joy of revolution were mixed with
jealousy over the fact that I would never see anything like that
happening in Moscow. And I prayed to God that I would live a little
longer to see something similar to what is happening in Kiev take place
in Moscow.

Exuberant city. Peaceful, smiling, kind, united people. But most
importantly - they are free. Free! Free! I experienced jealousy and
pride for the fact that I am standing among these free and peaceful
people. And these people were not forcing me out despite the fact that
I came from Russia, a country whose minister of Foreign affairs is low
enough to make an official statement about NATO's geopolitical claims
to Ukraine.

Listen, you, minister, come here, to Kiev. Go to Maidan and despite any
orders from Kremlin, you would not be able to utter a word about NATO's
geopolitical claims. There are many more of these people - young men
and women, children and elders, - than a Minister or a President of
Russia could ever imagine in their wildest dreams when they think about
a category "people". They might be fragile in body, but they are strong
in spirit.  And do not deceive me that there are no Russian troops in
Ukraine. They are here. But if even one of them ever makes a single
shot, as a citizen of Russia I could never clear myself from shame and
will never be pardoned for this sin.

Yes, I realize that my statements are full of pathos. And pathos is not
used in Russian journalism. But you should understand me because I am
in the heart of a revolution while you are stuck in boring Moscow
offices. Come here, go to Maidan - and you will understand me.

For the last five days every meeting at Maidan begins with a prayer.
And they sincerely pray to God to grant them freedom. This is a
revolution that neither Vladimir Putin nor Viktor Yushchenko can stop.
Only God can.

Vladimir Putin can spill blood here. He can spill a lot of blood. But
before giving an order about military actions, a president of Russia
should have come to Kiev, to Maidan and breathed in this air. It is
stronger than any army. One could send even the most cynical bastard
from President administration to Kiev and he would return wearing an
orange scarf.

With his genuine soft-heartedness and inclination towards compromise,
Viktor Yushchenko could consent to negotiate with Leonid Kuchma or
Russian representatives. However, Maidan will not accept negotiations.
People will not leave Maidan until and unless Viktor Yushchenko is
pronounced President of Ukraine. The fact of the matter is that it is
not about Yushchenko. It is about freedom.

No, I very well understand that politicians in Moscow cannot comprehend
how the whole people could be drawn to the city square not due to the
PR technologies but to defend their freedom. But do come to Kiev, go to
Maidan and you will believe it.

I have not been happier in my entire life. I have not experienced
greater love than the feeling I experience towards every single person
I meet on Kreshchatik.

God damn it, how can I make the officials in Russia believe that they
cannot win here in Kiev but can only cover themselves with shame? How
can I make them believe that freedom does indeed exist if they believe
TV anchor Mikhail Leontiev's lies whom they paid to lie in the first
place? There is no way I can make the officials in Russia believe that
freedom exists. But come to Kiev, go to Maidan before Manezh Square
turns into Maidan.

I understand that my enthusiastic words are not in line with Russian
journalistic style, but you should try to understand me. I stopped by
the hotel to write this column while the city is rejoicing behind the
windows of my hotel. I am sitting in the hotel room scared that some
bastard in Moscow gives an order to shoot.

But I will finish this article, go back to Maidan and will stop being
afraid.