Concerning Mr. Laughland (1)

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Nov 30 01:57:21 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

With your indulgence, I am posting some responses that appeared in
The Ukraine List, which is compiled by Professor Dominique Arel
(Ottawa),
a list where Mr Laughlan'ds article had also been posted.

Kind regards,
Natalia Pylypiuk (University of Alberta)

****
  (1) From Dominique Arel:
**I don't normally comment on newspaper articlesthat I post on UKL, but
the item by John Laughland is something else. This fellow is from an
organisation that calls itself OSCE Watch and that produced a report
that claims to "[challenge] the widely-disseminated media image of
government-sponsored fraud" (available at www.oscewatch.org) based on
an election observation mission conducted exclusively in areas
dominated by Yushchenko (Kyiv, Chernihiv, Uzhhorod). The observers were
quite critical of alleged pro-Yushchenko biases in what they saw, while
concluding that "in spite of concerns, [we find] no reason to believe
that the final result of the 2004 presidential election in Ukraine was
not generally representative of genuine popular will," even though this
mission did not observe at all how the election was conducted in
oblasts dominated by Yanukovych. In the Guardian item, each
interpretation based on electoral figures (paragraph four) is
disingenuous. "Turnouts of over 80%" in pro-Yushchenko areas can hardly
be related to "fraud," when the national turnout stands at 80%, and
that of L'viv is a mere one percentage point higher. The issue in
Donets'k is not the overwhelmingly statistical majority of Yanukovych
(96 percent) per se. As Aleksandr Kynev wrote in UKL285 ("How Voting
Fraud Was Committed in Donbas"), the real vote in Donets'k was probably
up to 85 percent in favour of Yanukovych (and perhaps even higher),
which is still enormous. I come from Quebec where some anglophone
ridings reported a 96 percent majority against independence in the 1995
referendum, and no one claimed the result was fraudulent. In critical
elections, the vote can be extremely polarized in certain regions of
electoral democracies, and this happened repeatedly in Galicia since
1990. It is not the fact that we see such figures that is necessarily
suspicious. The fraud in Donets'k was mostly about an impossible
turnout, which fabricated nearly one million votes for Yanukovych. As
for Saakashvili, he did poll 96 percent in the repeat Georgian election
of last January, and for a simple reason: he ran unopposed. That may
not have been good for democracy, but it certainly explains the figure.
If there is to be a third round in Ukraine, Yushchenko will not run
unopposed **

(2)