New Yorker: Article on Depopulation and AIDS

Dr. Frederick H. White fwhite at MUN.CA
Wed Oct 13 18:30:17 UTC 2004

I am slightly amused that you all are surprised.  My experience, living
in Russia from 1994-1996 and again for all of 1999-2000, is that if you
spoke Russian, understood the culture, etc. you usually worked for an
NGO, some major corporation or were doing graduate work.  If your
Russian was really weak and your grasp of the country was limited, you
worked for one of the news agencies or the embassy.  Of course I am
overstating the issue, but I had a lot of experience with the Moscow
Tribune and the Moscow Times people and most of them had limited
language abilities, which always made me wonder how they covered Russian
news stories.

As for the "major" news outlets, when the situation in Chechnya first
flared, I got a call from my father who was watching CNN and frightened
about the "tanks on Red Square."  Having just crossed Red Square, I
assured him that all was quite peaceful and that there were no tanks --
even if CNN said that they were there.

Cheers,

Dr. Frederick H. White
Memorial University  SN3056