Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Mon Oct 18 20:22:22 UTC 2004

Dear SEELangers:
I was asked to share the responses to my "Nose" question.
Here they are, posted as anonymous excerpts:

>This story is happening  several times a year :-)
>normally it is found and/or replaced very fast. For now it is in place.
>Good luck with Gogol stories.

>I was doing the story in question last week in my class, and was
>interested in the same question. A quick search on www.yandex.ru
>revealed that the unfortunate bas-relief was found in July of last
>year, abandoned on a Petersburg staircase. I don't know whether
>they've managed to stick it up again, or whether they're just
>waiting for "nature to take its course," as the doctor advises in
>Gogol's tale.

>I can vouch that the original Nose was not recovered (or if it was, it
>was not replaced), but now there is a new Nose statue, located above head
>level on the side of a building on the corner of Voznesensky Pr. and Ul.
>Rimskogo-Korsakogo.  Attached is a picture :-)

>The "nos" was replaced last year at the same place, but a little
>higher.

>çýȔÂÌ Ô•ÓÔý’¯ËÈ "çÓÒ ÏýÈӕý äӒýÎ’ý"
>11 ˜Îþ 2003 “., 16:06
>http://palm.newsru.com/crime/11jul2003/nos.html
>

>  >From what I understand it was recovered.
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3062059.stm

Thank you again to those who clarified this matter,
-FR

--
Francoise Rosset, Russian and Russian Studies
Wheaton College
e-mail: frosset at wheatonma.edu