Future of the Language Lab

Dr. Frederick H. White fwhite at MUN.CA
Tue Oct 19 18:55:09 UTC 2004

Dear Tony,

We are going through similar negotiations about our lab at the moment.
I do think that the internet is going to greatly influence the Language
Lab as we once knew it.  I encourage my students to access the web for
their workbook assignments, and listening drills at home if possible.
We use Golosa and there is a lot available on the website.  Some of our
students do not have the option of home internet usage (we don't require
students to buy computers) so my suggestion has been that our LL be
outfitted with high-speed connections, headphones and individualized
work areas to service those students who cannot work at home or prefer
to work on their assignments at the university.

You might want to contact Dan Bayer at the University of So. California.
USC redid their language lab about 8 years ago with New Media concepts.
Dan could probably give you good insight into how that has worked out.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Dr. Frederick H. White
Memorial University   SN3056