R. mgla and E. gloom?

Daniel Collins collins.232 at OSU.EDU
Tue Oct 19 21:15:50 UTC 2004

If I may offer a slight correction to the preceding message, the
Russian word mgla has a variety of cognates in other Indo-European
languages, including the Greek form omikhle; however, the Russian word
does not "come directly" from the Greek form but rather is descended
(through Proto-Slavic) from the same Proto-Indo-European root,
reconstructed as *m(e)igh-, with a suffix.  The English cognates of
mgla are mist and mistletoe (Proto-Germanic *mih-st-(l)-).

Daniel E. Collins, Chair
Department of Slavic and East European Languages and Literatures
The Ohio State University
232 Cunz Hall
1841 Millikin Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1215