The Russia Profile (a new Russian magazine in English)

Tatiana Osipovich tatiana at LCLARK.EDU
Thu Oct 21 15:47:01 UTC 2004

Robert,
I understand your concern, but let me clarify what I meant.  I
didn't mean to equate "Russophobic" with "anti-Kremlin" (and I also disagree
with many of Putin's policies!)  What I meant by Russophobia was the
tendency in much Western journalism to portray Russia as a bleak, hopeless
place perpetually on the brink of disaster and to distort their observations
in order to support this view.  For example, the recent New Yorker article
about AIDS in Russia reflected this tendency to some degree.
Tatiana Osipovich

Quoting Robert Chandler <kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM>:

> Dear all,
>
> > Politically, the magazine is more pro-Kremlin and less Russophobic than
> > the typical Western publication.
> I am alarmed by this, increasingly common, use of the word 'Russophobic'.
> It is possible to detest all the values represented by Putin's Kremlin
> without being in the least a Russophobe.
>
> Vsego nailuchshego,
>
> Robert Chandler

Tatiana Osipovich wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to a new monthly magazine about
Russia.  It is called Russia Profile and it publishes in-depth analysis
of Russian politics, business and culture.  The articles in this
magazine are usually quite well-written and they are geared towards an
"expert" audience which knows a lot about Russia (so it's perfect for
academics).  You can get a free subscription to it by filling out a
form at www.russiaprofile.org.  Also, all of their content is available
on their web site.

Russia Profile is a joint project of RIA Novosti, an official Russian
news agency, and Independent Media, which publishes The Moscow Times.
Politically, the magazine is more pro-Kremlin and less Russophobic than
the typical Western publication.  One doesn't get the impression,
however, that it is pure propaganda, and they do publish different
points of view.  In any case, it is quite different from what you
normally read in the Western press!

Tatyana Osipovich