Accounts from solitary imprisonment

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Mon Oct 25 18:54:00 UTC 2004

Don't forget Herzen's account of time he spent in "solitary" from Былое и думы. Makes for an interesting comparison with the Soviet idea of solitary confinement and deprivation of rights.

Alina is right -- one of the best ways to look for books on similar topics is to scan the shelf. One particularly cool way to do this is to access the LoC catalgogue (www.loc.gov), and then click on the Call Number of a book you know is pertinent (in this case, Whirlwind). You can then scan the titles and authors laterally, as though you were standing virtually at the corresponding shelf in the LoC (which, of course, you cannot do physically).

Not all libraries are set up to allow users to scan titles, and not all libraries are the Library of Congress. I've any number of times found some real gems using this method that I would never have found using a subject or title search: Assigning subject classes is an art, not a science, but the way the LoC has the catalogue set up, you catch a lot of things that you'd otherwise miss.

mad

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner
Russian Studies Program
Director, Honors Program
Stetson University
Campus Box 8361
DeLand, FL 32724
386.822.7381 (department)
386.822.7265 (direct line)
386.822.7380 (fax)
http://www.stetson.edu/~mdenner

-----Original Message-----
From: Jolanta Davis [mailto:jmdavis at FAS.HARVARD.EDU]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 12:58 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Accounts from solitary imprisonment

Dear all,

I'm looking for accounts of dealing with being in solitary imprisonment,
either from the twentieth or the nineteenth century. I'm sure there are
plenty of these out there, I know only of Ginzburg's "Into the whirlwind".
I don't remember if Solzhenitsyn wrote about it as well.

thanks

Jolanta M. Davis
AAASS Publications Coordinator and NewsNet Editor

American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies (AAASS)
8 Story Street
Cambridge, MA
tel.: 617-495-0679
fax: 617-495-0680