Post-Sov cultural studies reading

Nick Baron nick.baron at NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK
Fri Sep 3 13:41:03 UTC 2004

Dear List

I wonder if any of you can help me with this query. I'm teaching a course
this year on Russian 20th century cultural history. Being an historian, I'm
not very familiar with the more contemporary materials. I'd like to ask
students to read some of Pelevin's short stories (I had in mind 'A werewolf
problem in central Russia', 'Vera Pavlovna's Ninth Dream', 'Tai Shou Chuan
USSR'), and to watch 'Prisoner of the Mountains' ('Kavkazskii plennik')
and 'Brat'.

Does anyone know of any decent critical studies on Pelevin or these two
films.

Also can people identify useful general studies of contemporary
representations of national identity and masculinity in literature, film
and the visual arts.

I've tried searching on jstor, and via internet search engines, and come up
with very little indeed.

The students can only read English, konechno, and texts should be readily
available in the UK  ...

Thanks in advance,

Nick