How do you say "geek" or "nerd" with an affectionate feel in Russian?

Susan Scotto sscotto at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Thu Sep 9 12:23:09 UTC 2004

Dear Seelangers - My kids hold nerds in very high and fond regard, so when we
were in Russia last fall, we asked our Russian friends about ways to
say "nerd".  The two most common words we were given were "очкарик"
anD "ботаник".  It seemed to me that those could be used affectionately or
not, depending on your intonation.  I'd be interested in hearing from natives
about their sense of those words.

Susan Scotto