pushkin's nanny

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Sep 15 03:36:33 UTC 2004

>Arina Rodionovna is sometimes referred to as Anna Rodionovna (I've run
>across it in a couple of essays and brief bios of Pushkin).

This is the first time I hear of it. Who were the authors, did they know
Russian well?

>Wondering if Anna can be a short form of Arina,

Never. Anna was Christ's grandmother, so to speak, and the name Anna cannot
be a diminutive for anything that does not include it to begin with (like
Marianna, for ex. and even then it wouldn't.)

> or vice versa,

The sound R does not appear in names as a diminutive element unless in a
suffix -ur-: Shura, for ex.

> or if this is simply a wrong substitution that somehow got currency in
>English.

Sounds like it.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University