online photo gallery of life in Vladimir Russia (August 2004)

Ian Helfant ihelfant at MAIL.COLGATE.EDU
Wed Sep 15 09:11:32 UTC 2004

Deer SEELANGS members:

I am leading the Colgate-Mount Holyoke Consortial Moscow study group of 11
students for Fall 2004.  We spent August in Vladimir and while there I
compiled a large collection of high-quality photographs of everyday life,
mostly of human subjects along with some architecture, etc.  I've posted
the collection at
http://people.colgate.edu/ihelfant/Russia_04_pics/Russia_1/.  (You may
have to cut and past this link to get there.)

Please feel free to check out the gallery of 78 pictures if you're
interested and to make any suggestions about technique or subject matter,
as I’ll be continuing this project here in Moscow for the next 3 months.
I'd especially welcome any comments from the ethnographists among us about
the ethics involved in taking pictures of human subjects.  The pictures
were taken with a Canon Digital Rebel six megapixel SLR and an assortment
of lenses ranging from wide-angle through 640 mm telephoto.  Please note
that you can see the original large files by double clicking on any of the
slides.

On a side note, I will be printing enlargements (the gear will allow
archive quality enlargements up to at least 12 x 18, and very reasonable
enlargements up to poster size)  to hang in our Russian teaching rooms at
Colgate upon my return in December.  If you see any pictures that you
might be interested in enlarging yourselves, please let me know off-list.
If there’s sufficient interest, I will do some investigating of how much
it would cost to get enlargements to you (color corrected, professional
quality, and all that of course).

Also, if anyone has any particular suggestions or requests about things to
photograph here in Moscow, please let me know.

Best to you all, -- Ian Helfant (Assoc. Prof. of Russian, Colgate
University)