images of merchants

Geoffrey Chew uhwm006 at SUN.RHUL.AC.UK
Thu Sep 16 09:06:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Robert Chandler wrote:

> > Can anybody recommend some excellent stories, plays or novels from Russian
> > literature that  explicitly represent images of capitalists, merchants, or
> > people engaged in business affairs?
>
> Leskov's 'Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk' is an obvious example.  My translation
> was published last year by the Hesperus Press.

And has the advantage that students could compare it with Shostakovich's
operatic version of 1935 (no doubt available on DVD) with or without a
study of Stalin's attack on it in January 1936, the political fallout, the
sanitized later version of 1963, etc.

 Geoffrey Chew
 Music Department, Royal Holloway, University of London
 Internet: chew at sun.rhul.ac.uk