images of merchants

Marissa Polsky Polsky at AMERICANCOUNCILS.ORG
Fri Sep 17 17:24:56 UTC 2004

For an image of a capitalist (an American), there is Samuel Marshak's
Children's Poem, Mister Tvister.

Marissa Polsky Goldsmith
Web Applications Developer
American Councils for International Education:
ACTR/ACCELS
http://www.russnet.org
http://www.americancouncils.org
(202) 833-7522

>>> greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU 9/16/2004 5:46:36 PM >>>
Tolstoy's Levin and the business of farming.

I don't know to what extent farming can qualify as  "business", but
there is also a memorable scene of Levin and Oblonsky doing business
with a merchant Riabinin, who comes to Levin's house to buy Dolly's
forest from Stiva.  Part 2, I think.

SG

>Quoting Andrew Kaufman <adk59 at HOTMAIL.COM>:
>

>>Can anybody recommend some excellent stories, plays or novels from
Russian
>>literature that  explicitly represent images of capitalists,
merchants, or
>>people engaged in business affairs?>
>>
>>Andy Kaufman, Ph.D.

>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:

Svetlana Slavskaya Grenier
Associate Professor, Slavic Languages
PO Box 571050