feminine form

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Sun Sep 19 13:41:03 UTC 2004

>> I realize that the masculine form for "son of Ilia/Elias"
>> is "Il'ich" but what would be the feminine form
>> for "daughter of Ilia/Elias"?--Jerry Sabo.
>
> Il'inichna

Moreover, there are two pronunciations for this word. Cynthia A. Ruder
recently asked about a book by Galina Il'inichna Volodina. This person, at
least when she introduced herself to a group of us, made clear that she
pronounces the _ch_ as [sh] (fricative, not afficate). I assume that other
patronymics in _...ichna_ do the same; correct me if I'm wrong. There are
several other words that go both ways; _konechno_ (only, as I recall, in the
meaning of 'of course') and _narochno_ 'on purpose' come to mind. --Loren