Why do Russians put change in a dish?

Ryan Grotte ryangrotte at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 19 19:09:21 UTC 2004

I am under the impression that this is done for superstitous reasons. The
thinking goes that it's bad luck to have money directly change hands. I'm
not sure of the exact consequences of breaking this rule, but I've met a few
Russians who wouldn't take my money until I set it down. Same sort of thing
with shaking hands over a threshold: some won't do it, or at the very least
will comment on it as we do it.

Ryan