Coordinators and Teaching Assistants / Fellows, 4

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Sep 21 04:59:30 UTC 2004

> (Question 4)  Who keeps the files containing undergraduate student
> evaluations of the teaching performance of Graduate Student Teachers
> and/or Sessional teachers?  Is it the coordinator?  Someone else?

Respondent 1.
THEY ARE KEPT BY OUR DEPARTMENTAL SECRETARIES AND THE CHAIR.

Respondent 2.
The evaluations are turned into the department and are kept by the
department centrally.  I suppose they are technically the chair's
files, but in reality they have always been filed and kept by the
department's secretary.

Respondent 3.
They come to the department, and are both placed in the individuals’
ongoing departmental files, and copies are sent to the chair.  They are
available to the Language Program Coordinator (who also monitors
performance of all [Slavic] language sections during the term).

Respondent 4.
Undergrad student evaluations of teaching are maintained in the dept.
office and are public records according to [our] state['s] law.
However, [the language coordinator]  observes each graduate student
teaching assistant at least once a semester and writes the students a
detailed post-observation letter which is a private communication.
[The coordinator uses]  these letters as the basis of [future] letters
of recommendation, but they are neither public record nor department
property. Faculty members in literature are free to make notes and
communicate with their students in the same way: writing comments on
papers, etc., that do not become public record.

Respondent 5.
Our Departmental Administrator keeps all the personell files which are
available to anyone with a legitimate interest (the Chair, the Grad
Student Coordinator and various committees that have demonstrable need
when the business before the committee so indicates).

Respondent 6.
Grad students' files are in the department's office; evaluations go
into it. Any dept. faculty member has access to them.

Natalia Pylypiuk,
U of Alberta