Dostoevsky's father

Ken Lantz k.lantz at UTORONTO.CA
Tue Sep 21 16:21:19 UTC 2004

Dear Prof. Denner,

Just a short addendum to Michael Katz's reply to your query.
Dostoevsky's father retired from the army in December 1820, so his later
rank was civil rather than military.  He became a коллежеский ассесор in
1827 and  made it to the rank of  коллежеский советник before he retired.

This whole business of ranks is, as I'm sure you know, very complicated,
given a number of changes over the years.  If you want more detail
there's quite a good article on civil and military service in the 19th
century:  Д.И. Раскин, "Исторические реалии российской
государственности...," Из истории русской культуры, 5 (М., 2000), 662-830.

Sincerely,
Ken Lantz