"Dama s sobachkoi"

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Sep 22 16:35:22 UTC 2004

Peter!
RBCMP3.com has a DVD (NTSC -- i.e., works here in US) with Russian and
English subtitles. I read the story/watched the movie with my class last
year. The Russian subtitles are a great way for adv. intermediate
students to more or less completely follow the dialogue. I had them
watch it several times on their own. Worked very well.

mad

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner
Russian Studies Program
Director, Honors Program
Stetson University
Campus Box 8361
DeLand, FL 32724
386.822.7381 (department)
386.822.7265 (direct line)
386.822.7380 (fax)
http://www.stetson.edu/~mdenner

-----Original Message-----
From: LeBlanc, Ronald [mailto:Ronald.LeBlanc at UNH.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:59 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] "Dama s sobachkoi"

If you have your students watch Josef Heifitz's 1960 film adaptation of
Chekhov's story after they read the text (which I tend to do), then you
might want to have them read James Palmer's "Mastering Chekhov:
Heifitz's The Lady with the Dog."  It appeared in "Literature/Film
Quarterly" in 1991 (vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 252-257).

It's short and sweet.  And it addresses the way Heifitz attempts to
render aspects of the literary text on film.

Ron LeBlanc
University of New Hampshire