"Dama s sobachkoi"

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Sep 22 18:39:07 UTC 2004

Yes, but you simply MUST have Gurov eat a watermelon while sitting
silently for half an hour right after the, ahem, culmination....

That should clear any Hollywood-inspired interpretations of Anton
Pavlovich.

mad
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner
Russian Studies Program
Director, Honors Program
Stetson University
Campus Box 8361
DeLand, FL 32724
386.822.7381 (department)
386.822.7265 (direct line)
386.822.7380 (fax)
http://www.stetson.edu/~mdenner

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Naiman [mailto:naiman at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 2:31 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] "Dama s sobachkoi"

Hi, Peter:

  When I last taught this story, I was surprised by how many students in
the class read the story as a tale of true love -- Chekhov's prose has
the
effect of the music that accompanies dialogue-less courtship in
Hollywood
movies.  So I suggested that two of the students read just the quoted
dialogue.  Definitely worth trying...
                Eric