"...krichali tsikady..."?

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Wed Sep 29 00:36:25 UTC 2004

> Brother and Sister Slavic Wizards (Russian Division)!
>
> In a famous passage from "Dama s sobachkoi" ("V Orieande sideli na skam'e,
> nedaleko ot tserkvi, smotreli vniz na more i molchali... and following),
> as one auditory effect Chekhov has: "...krichali tsikady..."
>
> Nabokov translates (in his essay): "the crickets chirped"
>
> Pevear and Volokhonsky: "cicadas called"
>
> I am not interested in the insect as much as the verb. Does it really come
> across as that quiet or neutral?

I can't pretend to be a "Slavic Wizard," but "krichat'" can indeed mean "to
make a sharp sound" (of the type produced by small birds or insects).
Depending on context, "krichat'" could also be rendered as "boom," "bray,"
"caterwaul," "heehaw," "honk," and "screech," all of which are considerably
further along the scale of intensity. "Hoot," I suppose, could be placed
somewhere in the middle.