In the Name of Love

Susan Scotto sscotto at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Wed Aug 3 14:07:50 UTC 2005

It's very good - it traces the experiences of several women of different
"profiles" who met Americans through the Svetlana Agency in Petersburg. We hear
both the women and the men talk about their motivations and about their
respective partners.  The film is balanced, since not all of the women have
happy endings, and O'Rourke also talks to a man who ran a rival marriage agency,
and who is quite the businessman (read "creep".)  All in all, it's a great movie
for showing students what the lives and frustrations of average Russian women
are like, and giving insight into what some of these women's aspirations are.
Definitely great for classroom use.

Susan Scotto