Russian Materials for Young Learners

Kari Fisher karifisher at COMCAST.NET
Sat Aug 20 14:24:21 UTC 2005

Please help. I obtained a NY state teaching license in 1993 from NYU in
secondary english education. Now, I am a full-time attorney and full-time
mom trying to teach my 13-month old Russian.  I don't speak it myself.  I am
a member of NNELL, MFLA and ACTR, to name a few, with the main goal of
getting access to useful materials to help teach myself and child at the
same time.  I am looking for something similiar to the Muzzy Series but in
Russian. [http://www.early-advantage.com/] Or CDs like Baby's First Steps,
but in Russian.
[http://www.randomhouse.com/livinglanguage/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=978060
9607404] I would love to find a site like www.chinasprout.com or
www.Alphabet-Garten.com but for Russian materials.

I read the ACTR journals as they are sent.  I've read the articles about the
big push for Russian AP testing and the importance of starting Russian
language instruction as early as possible. I've also read many articles in
the news and in teaching journals about the shortage of foreign language
proficiency, at least in the United States.  And yet, there doesn't seem to
be much material (if any?) available in Russian for our young children or at
least that I've been able to find. What are teachers using for pre-K or 1-6
instruction in elementary schools?

If you know of anything, even if just the names of publishers of Russian
teaching materials, I'd be most appreciative if you could contact me with
the information. Also, I'd like to thank the handful of members who have
already contacted me.

Warmest regards,
Kari Fisher, Esq.