Russian Materials for Young Learners

Laura Kline klinela at PROVIDE.NET
Sat Aug 20 19:53:04 UTC 2005

There are two items, Teach Me Russian for Children (a book and audio set)
and Bilingual Baby for Russian (a video), available at
http://www.multilingualbooks.com/russian.html. Russian fairy tales are on
tape and CD at: http://www.babayaga.com/. You can get First Thousand Words
in Russian (a book) at Amazon.
Best,
Laura

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of ???? ??????????
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 12:24 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Materials for Young Learners

Hi Kari,

The basic Russian-teaching material for little children is the (ABC)
reader practiced in the Soviet Union and is still in use today. In
Russian it is called "Bukvar", which means "Letter" or "a set of
letters" or just "Letters".

But for your 13-month old baby, it is too early for now, except,
maybe, for the ABC itself. So you can try to teach your baby Russian
letters at this step.

Right now the most effective way of language acquisition by your baby
(not you) is listening to Russian mucis, Russian songs, especially
Russian cartoons (any kinds of songs and all kinds of songs); watching
TV at a later stage. Anything that is concerned with Listening.
Listening without being taught how to listen.

Also you could hire a maid who would spend all her time with your
baby, taking care of your baby and talking only Russian to your baby.

If you really want your child to know Russian, you can go to Russia
and leave him/her with a Russian kindergarden somewhere in Moscow or
St. Petersbourg (best places) or live with your baby there  - for
awhile.

As an English teacher myself (by education), I once had a dream to
teach a Russian baby English in Russia, back at home. Now I am in
Canada, translating poetry from Russian into English.

OK, good luck to you, Kari.

Sincerely,

Ivan.

[http://www.randomhouse.com/livinglanguage/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=978060