Kraj Zachodni / Zapadnyj kraj

Elena Gapova e.gapova at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Aug 22 21:00:04 UTC 2005

Jan Zaprudnik in his "Historical Dictionary of Belarus" (The Scarecrow
Press, 1998) provides Northwestern Province for "Severo-Zapadnyi Kray". I
asked a similar question on this list about a year ago, and no alternatives
were provided. So this seems to be the only way.

Elena Gapova

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Wayles Browne
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 4:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Kraj Zachodni / Zapadnyj kraj

In translating a Polish text written in 1906, I find the expression
"w Kro'lestwie Polskim i w Kraju Zachodnim". I understand that at
that time in the Russian Empire there was a Zachodnyj kraj, which is
presumably the same thing. What is that called in English? "The
Kingdom of Poland and the ..."?
Dziekuje, spasibo, thank you all