Slavomir Rawicz

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Thu Aug 25 20:44:30 UTC 2005

I just finished reading "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz, about his escape
from a Soviet camp to India, and I wondered if anyone could shed light on
its veracity. It doesn't seem all that plausible that he would survive
months of torture and interrogation, walk through the Gobi desert without
any food or water, and finish up by seeing a couple of yetis frolicking
around in the Himalayas!

According to an obituary in the Guardian his account was real enough, but
one Amazon reviewer claims the book was discredited in the '50s.

Did any of Rawicz's colleagues on the long walk ever surface to corroborate
the story?

I'd be curious to find out more.

Thanks,

Sarah Hurst