SEELANGS Digest - 30 Nov 2005 to 1 Dec 2005 (#2005-343) - Minority Concerns

Tavon tavon at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 3 00:10:21 UTC 2005

SEELANGS Digest - 30 Nov 2005 to 1 Dec 2005 (#2005-343)
SEELANGers

I am a black student currently pursuing graduate studies in a university in St. Petersburg.  I have been connected in some form with life here since 2002 and to be honest, I would say that the climate has grown steadily colder for foreign students here.  I will draw on points posted already as some are quite right, but not complete.  Tom and Renee are correct in that one living in places such Moscow and St. Petersburg should exercise the same precautions as one would in any large city.  However, as Graham pointed out, people of color have to be extra vigilant because of the issues they will have to face because of their skin color.

I find that it is absolutely crucial to develop a "social base" in Russia where you can discuss your problems.  Whether you are aware of it or not, pressure starts to build as a result of continually being exposed to the taunts, stares, laughs, and in worse cases attacks.  While many will not be able to identify with your problem on a first hand basis, it is always useful to have someone with whom you can talk about these issues.  Trust me, it makes life that much more bearable.

Renee noted that it matters where you will spend the most of your time.  This is quite right.  While some university areas in St. Petersburg are targets for fascists, the vast majority are safe for foreigners.  I have studied in three universities in St. Petersburg and have found all of them to be very safe.  In addition, all of the students and administration there have treated me as one of their own which definitely helps ease me from being an "outsider" on the streets.  There are some areas in the city that are hotbeds for crime and caution should be exercised in those areas when alone or even with others.

I have been quite fortunate in my time here that, while I have experienced the stares, taunts and other forms of discomfort, I have not been attacked physically.  I must say to this though that I am a large person and most people would consider me too formidable of a person to take on alone. Fortunately I have been spared the perilous fate from groups as well :).  Most of the attention I get varies between the two extremes.  That is it is either negative, from laughs and stares, or extremely positive from the many бабушки and others on the streets and in stores.

Onto the incidents that have been permeating the news.  Pete noted that there has been about one foreign student murder in St. Petersburg a month.  He is correct.  However, there are many more assaults and beatings than what is being reported and I have been keeping tabs on all of them.  Back in September with the murder of the African student Roland in Piter, there was a large backlash against the press from the Russians complaining that so much attention was being paid to the issues of foreign students and that this could just as well happen to any Russian on the streets.  I will simply say without too much fuss that we know that this is not correct.  As a result of this though, most press and news sources with the exception of a VERY select few papers and journals have stopped reporting on these issues.  Then there came the murder of Тимур Качарава, very active in the anti-fascist cause, and the hospitalization of his friend on a very busy part of Nevsky Prospect - Московский Вокзал.  Yet no one seems to have seen anything.  His murder has resurfaced the issue of fascism in the city as it is a shame and scandal to have it happen to "one of us."  While I am extremely grateful for the reaction of the city, one has to wonder why no foreigner's death here was important enough to generate the same reaction.  Let us hope that this will be the beginning to an active fight against fascism here.

Commenting on Deborah's question, I do not think you or your husband will have a problem in St. Petersburg.  Although Pete is correct in the recent and not so recent bouts of anti-Semitism that has plagued St. Petersburg, it will generally not pose you a threat to come here as you will still be able to blend in.

Mel, I would not discourage you from coming to St. Petersburg or Moscow.  I remember in 2002 when I was preparing for my trip and how I was bombarded with information about racism and such in Russia.  You will find that no matter how armed you are with information, nothing will actually prepare you for what you will experience coming to Russia.  You will simply have to consider both the good and the bad and make your decision from that.  This applies to any minority group.  As Pete said, St Petersburg is a wonderful city, and Russia as a whole is a very beautiful place.

Finally I would say to all planning to come: make an effort to get the locals and local culture.  To really see how the people are and how life is here, one must get the know the people.  I am grateful to have developed very strong relationships here from school, work, the places where I volunteer, or simply at an event in the city here in Petersburg or elsewhere is russia.  You will find that many have never met a minority (or even a foreigner for that matter) and that this acquaintance will serve to dispell any myths that were present on both sides.  I can say that without a doubt it has influenced my opinions about life here.  After all I am still here and I will be for quite a while longer.

Tavon