"Women of Belarus: a Social History" Calendar Series: Calendar-2006 BELARUSIAN TEXTILES

Olga Bukhina obukhina at ACLS.ORG
Wed Dec 7 15:28:50 UTC 2005

"Women of Belarus: a Social History" Calendar Series

Calendar-2006: BELARUSIAN TEXTILES

Each month features a fragment of textiles, made by women from the
Polesje region, where this unique art, long forgotten in Eastern Europe,
has survived to this day. Viewing these relics of material culture
through women's stories about the turmoil of the 20th century, authors
locate these remnants of the past within a truly contemporary narrative
about women's lives and creativity.

Languages: Russian and Belarusian with English abstracts.

Editor: Elena Gapova.
Research, interviews: Olga Lobachevskaya.
European Humanities University - International, 2005.

About the series: "Women of Belarus: a Social History" is a Center for
Gender Studies at EHU project, started in 2000 and aiming to visualize a
social history of the borderlands by re-discovering the topics and
stories which so far have been at the margins of the region's history.
Bringing to light old photos or posters, unpublished documents, private
letters and pieces of material culture, the series' researchers and
authors show them AS history.

Have a glimpse of the publication:
http://gender-ehu.org/?54_2&id=54

You can order the calendar/series here: http://www.eastview.com/