Honored Artist of Russia

Jennifer Lavy jlavy at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Dec 12 17:39:06 UTC 2005

Greetings, SEELANGERS:

Pinter's speech for receiving this year's Pulitzer for Drama has generated a
lot of discussion in the academic theatre community about what the prize
means, including speculation as to its politics.

This has led me to think more about the title "Honored Artist of Russia." I
see the title used quite a bit, but I don't think I have a clear sense of
what it actually means. Is it awarded purely on artistic merit? Does it tend
to reflect a politic? Does its meaning change depending on when it was
awarded? How common is this award (or, on the flip-side, how remarkable)? Is
it used reliably?

Would someone on the list please help me understand this title -- or point
me to a good source for further research?

Also, is there some place I could look for a list of people who've received
the title for theatre arts?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide -- and happy holiday
season!
-J

Jennifer Lavy
Doctoral Candidate
University of Washington School of Drama
Box 353950
Seattle WA 98195-3950
206.543.5245

"Courage, like a muscle,