Dostoevsky

Yuliya Lutsyk yuliya_lutsyk at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 25 06:09:39 UTC 2005

I am a school student in Australia, currently I am studying English
Extension 2, the highest level of English that can be undertaken in school.
We are required to write a major work over the school year. I decided upon
doing a critical analysis along the lines of "Women in 19th Century Russian
literature", I do not have the title/question of my major work completely
formulated yet, but I will be concentrating on the Russian society and its
influence on women, how this is reflected in Russian literature, perhaps
some philosophical points and authorial voice and intrusion.

 I have chosen 2 major novels for my analysis: "Anna Karenina" by Leo
Tolstoy and "Brother's Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I have not finished
reading "Brother's Karamazov", but I’m afraid I will not be able to analyse
the female characters in this book in depth, as they simply are not major
characters as opposed to Anna Karenina. While researching, I became aware
that in "The Idiot", Nastasiya Filipovna, is one of the main characters, as
I have not read this book, I need advice whether this text would be relevant
to my work or will I be able to complete sufficient analysis on “Brothers
Karamazov”. If anyone has any comments/suggestions/material, they would be
greatly appreciated.