Russian Easter & expatriates in Hollywood

Steven Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Wed Jan 5 12:54:06 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues:

Offhand, the most elaborate and emotional depiction of a traditional
Russian Easter service that I can recall in a Hollywood film was "We Live
Again" (1934, black & white),  based on Tolstoi's "Resurrection."  It was
made by 3 expatriates from Eastern Europe, producer Samuel Goldwyn
(Gelbfisz), director Rouben Mamoulian, and  designer Sergei Sudeikin
(Soudeikine).  Katiusha Maslova was played by the once famous
Russian-American star, Anna Sten.  Frederic March played the prince,
and among several East Europeans in the supporting cast were Leonid
Kinskey, Mikhail Visaroff, Ilya Khmara, Zoya Karabanova, Nina Koshetz,
and Leonid Snegoff.

Which reminds me -- for my collection of videos reflecting the work of
Russian & East European expatriates in Hollywood & the West -- does
anyone know  where to find a video copy of:
"Woman Alone" (Sten, UK, 1936);
"Three Russian Girls" (Sten, directed by Fedor Otsep, USA, 1943);
"Promise at Dawn" (Melina Mercouri, France, 1970, based on R Gary's novel);
"Abdullah the Great" (Grigori Ratoff [Baratov?] & Boris Ingster, UK, 1956).

With season's greetings,
Steven P Hill,
Univ. of Illinois (USA).