New organization of Slavic linguists: *PLEASE FORWARD BROADLY*

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+seelangs at PITT.EDU
Wed Jan 5 18:00:26 UTC 2005

Date: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 12:28 PM -0500
From: Steven Franks <franks at indiana.edu>
To: grapp at mail.utexas.edu
Subject: New organization of Slavic linguists: *PLEASE FORWARD BROADLY*

To everyone interested in the linguistic study of Slavic languages!

After a productive roundtable discusson at the recent AATSEEL meeting, we
have decided to go ahead with the organization of a new Society for Slavic
Linguistics. At this initial stage in the process our intent is simply to
create a "virtual" society, although eventually we hope to hold scholarly
meetings. Our intent is to to create an inclusive scholarly community of
people working on linguistic problems of the Slavic languages. Membership
is free and open to all, regardless of theoretical or methodological
orientation, professional status, or geographic location.

Our first goal is to set up web pages of potential use to Slavic linguists.
These will be maintained by Gil Rappaport at the University of Texas. So if
you are interested in joining all you need to do is send him an e-mail, at
<grapp at mail.utexas.edu>,  with the following information:

REQUIRED INFO:

        1. YOUR NAME:

        2. E-MAIL ADDRESS:

OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL INFO:

        3. MAILING ADDRESS and INSTITUTIONAL AFFILIATION

        4. TELEPHONE and/or FAX NUMBERS

        5. RESEARCH SPECIALIZATIONS, including LANGUAGES and AREAS OF
LINGUISTICS

        6. COURSES YOU TEACH

        7. LINK(S) TO YOUR OWN WEBSITE(S)

Once Gil has set this up, he will send a message to all registered members
soliciting additional materials which could be posted to the web  for
public download. You can provide pdf versions of research papers, teaching
materials you wish to share, or even a current cv.

In addition to downloadable papers, the web site will eventually also have
pages with the following kinds of information of general interest:

        UPCOMING MEETINGS
        JOB VACANCIES
        RESEARCH/STUDY/GRANT OPPORTUNITIES
        LINKS TO OTHER USEFUL SITES