Origin of Lenin

Scott Petersen petersen at MA.MEDIAS.NE.JP
Sun Jan 9 06:31:01 UTC 2005

Stalin took his pseudonym from stal'. Where did Lenin get his name? The
first possibility that comes to mind is len', but that doesn't seem
likely. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin) states as fact
that he took it from the River Lena in Siberia. Another source
(http://moscow.gramota.ru/map123.shtml -- scroll down a ways to find
the pertinent comments) says we don't really know. They do, however,
mention the explanation given in Wikipedia. Wikipedia also says the
Lenin was never known as Nikolai Lenin in Russia. The later article
says he was.

Of course, Wikipedia is not completely authoritative, Does anyone have
anything more authoritative? Should we just take the careful exposition
of the gramota site as the best answer?

TIA

Scott Petersen
Nagoya, Japan