Russian collocation dictionary

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Mon Jan 10 07:58:21 UTC 2005

Dear Harald Hille,

I would second Liv Bliss's recommendation of the Denisov dictionary (Slovar'
sochetaemosti), the 2d edition of which came out in 1983. But it seems what
you want is simply themost basic "government" or "argument structure" of the
verb. In my experience it's actually hard to find a dictionary that does NOT
provide this information (e.g., verit' VO CHTO, verit' CHEMU). A recent
comprehensive dictionary that seldom disappoints me is S.A. Kuznetsov's
Bol'shoi tolkovyi slovar' russkogo iazyka (St. Pbg.: Norint, 1998), 130,000
entries. People have different views of the Shvedova redaction of Ozhegov's
Tolkovyi slovar', but I've always liked its handling of recent
colloquialisms. You can search it online at http://www.megakm.ru/ojigov/ or
at http://www.slovari.ru/lang/ru/ivoc/ojsh/index.html. For a bilingual
reference, there is E.M. Mednikova's Anglo-russkii slovar' glagol'nykh
slovosochetanii/English-Russian Dictionary of Verbal Collocations, 2d ed.
(Moscow: Russkii iazyk, 1990). Like Denisov, this one deals more with what I
think of as collocations, as opposed to simple government of the verb, e.g.,
"grind away at smth.," or "set smb. on smth.," "be swept away by smth." It's
interesting just to browse it (how WOULD they say that???).

Best New Year's wishes to all,

Tim Sergay