Possible Russian program elimination at Portland Community College

Olga Livshin o-livshin at NORTHWESTERN.EDU
Mon Jan 17 00:40:33 UTC 2005

Dear Prof. Shmakov,

This letter is in response to your call for letters of support on SEELANGS. I am not sure how much
a voice of a grad student counts, but I would like to help out to the extent that I can. I also
forwarded your email to the Association of Women in Slavic Studies, where I am a graduate student
representative.

Best,
Olga Livshin
Ph.D. Candidate, Northwestern University

--------
Dear Professor Shmakov,

I was disheartened to hear that the Russian program of the Portland Community College may be in
danger of being eliminated. Census figures show no place in the nation has had more of an influx
from the Soviet Union than the Northwest. Oregon is number two in the nation for Russian-speaking
newcomers. The role that your department plays in preparing professionals to speak the language and
understand the culture of those newcomers cannot be underestimated.

I have experienced a difference that a college can play in the lives of immigrants firsthand. A
Ph.D. candidate in the Slavic Ph.D. program at Northwestern University at present, I emigrated to
this country as a teenager. It was important for me to maintain and enrich certain parts of Russian
culture that were meaningful to me, and I deeply appreciated the role that the University of
California, San Diego, played in maintaining a culture-rich community life in my city. Having lived
in two other cities with large Russian communities and Slavic programs since then, I have seen that
the colleges and universities that teach its students Russian and sponsor Russian cultural events
raise the level of cultural awareness for both Russian Americans and other Americans. Colleges help
the Russian community find a place in which it can maintain its heritage harmoniously, and they
train future professionals to interact with Russian Americans--employees, consumers, and
conscientious citizens of this country. Without a connection between the Russian community and the
greater community of each city, Russians often feel isolated, particularly those in the older
generations, and the consequent stress level for them is quite significant. Your program, in
particular, is successful in attracting and educating its students in Russian. I am aware that the
Portland Community College has the largest first-year Russian enrollments in the state of Oregon,
with over 120 students taking first-year classes each year. This is an enormous number even by
university-level standards.

Closing the Russian program at your college would be very unfortunate. I would like to express my
support for your program, and hope that you can continue to foster the connection between the
Portland Russian community and the future professionals in the area.

Best wishes,
Olga Livshin

==============Original message text===============