Which database is best?

Donald Loewen djloewen at BINGHAMTON.EDU
Fri Jan 28 19:54:50 UTC 2005

Greetings.
I don't recall seeing a SEELANGS discussion about the most useful databases
for finding works published in CIS/Eastern European countries.  I do recall
seeing one impressive database with full-text articles demonstrated at a
recent AATSEEL conference, and I've had limited experience using the
Russian Academy of Sciences database ("limited" when guest access through
Cambridge was eliminated, but I was glad for it while it lasted).  My
primary interest is in the Humanities, esp. literature, cultural studies,
cinema (e.g. MLA-type database).

I wonder if those of you who have used some of these databases would be
willing to share your experiences and recommendations:
a) which ones update regularly and provide good connections?
b) full-text available?  (newspapers only, or journals as well?)
c) ease of use?

Perhaps some of our Slavic librarians have had a chance to compare the
available databases and vendors.  Since our university is thinking about a
subscription, I'd be grateful for recommendations, and perhaps other
list-readers would as well.
With thanks,
Don Loewen
Binghamton University (SUNY)