Question regarding carrying laptop to Russia

Sun Jul 3 19:04:48 UTC 2005

Edward M Dumanis wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Mr Joshua Wilson wrote:
>
>> Since this seems to be of interest in general, here is the reply I
>> just sent to Brandon:
>>
>> I've actually just updated a webpage based on my experiences living
>> in Russia with a laptop:
>>
>> <http://www.sras.org/news2.phtml?m=350&popup=1>

> This website does not open unless a cookie is accepted.
> So, it is not available for those who work from secure computers.
> I would suggest that you place your text in the body of your message.

I tried the page and it opened fine without a cookie.

Depending on your security requirements and software, some cookies are
acceptable. For example, I routinely accept session cookies from google
in order to set preferences; each time I close my browser the cookie is
purged. The loss of privacy is minimal because google cannot associate
one session with the next and aggregate the information into a personal
history.

Many programs nowadays allow you to view cookies before approving them,
to accept some cookies and reject others, and so forth. The program I
use allows me to blacklist some cookie sites, whitelist others, and make
decisions on the rest based on my own cookie rules and the sites'
privacy policies (if any). Even Internet Exploiter has cookie options
nowadays!

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com