Study abroad in Russia for students with interests in medicine/health sciences

Donnie Sendelbach donnie.sendelbach at LAWRENCE.EDU
Sun Jul 10 20:58:55 UTC 2005

Bill,

You might try contacting the Sister Cities program here in Appleton if
you don't have any other leads.  Unfortunately, their website
http://www.foxcitieskurgan.org/ has been down all weekend, and I
couldn't find their number in the phone book.  There are doctors in the
area, one being Montgomery Elmer, who have been extremely active in the
program.  They've taken over medical equipment, had training on dealing
with domestic violence, etc. in Kurgan.  Here's an article on him.

http://www.partnersinglobalsolutions.com/shch/monk.shtml

If this seems like the most promising prospect you have, let me know
and I'll dig up more contact info for you.   They might be glad to have
someone premed for an internship.  I wouldn't mind them getting
interships started, either.  If you contact them on your own, let me
know.

Thanks, ds

On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 05:10  PM, William Comer wrote:

> Dear List members,
>
> I am advising an undergraduate student at University of Kansas who is
> double
> majoring in Russian and Biology with the goal of pursuing a career in
> medicine.  The student is interested in a semester or academic year of
> study
> abroad in Russia, and I am wondering if anyone on the list is familiar
> with
> programs that might be more tailored to students with such interests,
> or
> where there might be prospects of an internship with a public
> health/medical
> organization.
>
> Please send suggestions or recommendations to me directly at:
> wjcomer at ku.edu
>
> Thank you for your assistance,
>
> Bill Comer
> --
> William J. Comer
> Director, Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center
> Associate Professor, Slavic Languages and Literatures
> University of Kansas
> 1445 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 4070
> Lawrence, KS 66045
> Phone: 785-864-4701