Transl. & English-speaking prisoners

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Fri Jul 15 17:52:19 UTC 2005

For what it's worth, when I visited Russia in 1988, and customs officers
told me to open my suitcases and looked through them with some (not
exhaustive) thoroughness, my (intelligentnye) relatives referred to this
as "ee polchasa shmonali na tamozhne".  Not brutal, no strip search, but
there you have it.  What would the American equivalent for this be?

Sincerely,