recommendations for second-year text

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Mon Jul 18 17:40:05 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers,

I've decided to change textbooks for our second-year Russian course,
which meets five days a week. The students will have completed Live from
Moscow and have, I feel, a very firm grasp of the grammar contained
therein. I've used Welcome Back for years, but I don't feel that it's a
terribly effective book, and I've ended up adding so much additional
material, and still am dissatisfied, that I thought I'd give another
book a shot. Years ago, I used V puti, and, while there's much to
recommend in the book, I found its lexicon to be far too broad and
insufficiently integrated. That said, I remember there being a lot of
very excellent grammar and reading sections, but no film.

A long windup to a simple question: Does anyone out there have a
second-year text that they love, that they would unhesitatingly
recommend? What are my choices? Can anyone share syllabi? I'm willing to
adopt a hodgepodge approach, using various resources, if anyone could
share their approach.

Any help will be appreciated. Pls reply off-list. I'll be happy to
collect the responses and provide them to anyone who wants them.

Best,

mad

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner