Postdocs vs. doctoral fellows

Thu Jun 2 20:57:07 UTC 2005

Urgent: can someone tell me if these are significantly different? (I've
been away for too long to remember)

We're translating a speech by a non-Russian-speaking American into
Russian in which he discusses the *Russian* academic environment, and he
mentions these two terms. The translator renders them both as кандидат
наук, and the editor wants to change them to докторант, saying that if
you continue in academia in Russia after you get your кандидатскую
степень, you are inevitably working toward your докторскую.

MMTIA

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com