Postdocs vs. doctoral fellows

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Jun 2 21:13:44 UTC 2005

Post-doc is a job title. Post-docs are usually in the sciences -- they're
jobs people get (we say both "she is a post-doc" and "she got a post-doc"),
usually doing some kind of research, after they finish their Ph.D. but
before they get a teaching or other university position. Doctoral fellow
could include someone still working on a Ph.D. It's someone receiving a
fellowship, so not necessarily being paid in exchange for work.

Neither one is equivalent to kandidat nauk, which is a degree category.

In the U.S. academic environment, the post-doc is an extremely important
middle category for research (between grad students and faculty). All the
university labs in the country are filled with 'em.

At 15:57 02.06.2005, you wrote:
>Urgent: can someone tell me if these are significantly different? (I've
>been away for too long to remember)
>
>We're translating a speech by a non-Russian-speaking American into Russian
>in which he discusses the *Russian* academic environment, and he mentions
>these two terms. The translator renders them both as кандидат
>наук, and the editor wants to change them to докторант,
>saying that if you continue in academia in Russia after you get your
>кандидатскую степень, you are inevitably working toward
>your докторскую.
>
>MMTIA
>
>--
>War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
>--
>Paul B. Gallagher
>pbg translations, inc.
>"Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
>http://pbg-translations.com

Russell Valentino
Associate Professor
Program in Russian
Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
University of Iowa
Tel. (319) 353-2193
Fax (319) 353-2524