teaching a course on contemporary russian novels/short stories

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Jun 3 22:34:45 UTC 2005

If you're looking for primary materials, take a look at Glas:
http://www.russianpress.com/glas/.

NWU's Writings From an Unbound Europe series has about five (?) Russian
titles in it, all pretty contemporary.

For short stories, a few journals regularly publish translated works from
Russian. There you'd have to search because they'll be mixed with others,
and with poetry. Try the last few years of Two Lines: a Journal of
Translation, for instance. For more journals, go to the ALTA website
(American Literary Translators Associations), which has links.

Russell Valentino

At 17:24 03.06.2005, you wrote:
>Dear all:
>I am thinking of teaching an undegraduate course on
>contemporary Russian literature in English translation.
>
>The only collection that I am aware of that would help me
>to teach such a course is the one made by Thomas
>Hoisington.
>Any suggestions?
>
>LIza Ginzburg

Russell Valentino
Associate Professor
Program in Russian
Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
University of Iowa
Tel. (319) 353-2193
Fax (319) 353-2524