Born in the USSR

Peter Morley pjmmyev at MAIL.WPLUS.NET
Mon Jun 6 13:57:41 UTC 2005

This song was virtually inescapable over the Victory Day holiday and the period leading up to it - especially at the various prazdnichnie kontserty on state television - but seems to have subsided since. Recent discussions with cynical friends at the European University suggested that Gazmanov and this song should represent Russia at next year's Eurovision Song Contest.

Gazmanov's other recent masterpiece has been the Edinaya Rossiya hymn, titled, originally enough, "Edinaya Rossiya", in which, if I remember correctly, he also manages to proclaim his loyalty to old Rus'. His other loyalties are also interesting, to judge by the lyrics available at http://lyrics.mp3s.ru/view/exec/%CE%EB%E5%E3%20%C3%E0%E7%EC%E0%ED%EE%E2/1/; they include Moscow, Spartak, St. Petersburg, and the Baltic coast, to name a few. Even Aeroflot gets its own song: http://lyrics.mp3s.ru/perl/lyric.pl?hyxUHBso4cAvE&82471 Oh, and
Jamaica does, too: http://gazmanov.akkords.ru/text/3007/

Peter Morley
European University at St. Petersburg

Monday, June 6, 2005, 3:23:33 AM, you wrote:

> Did I miss something, or this nationality sensitive forum never commented
> upon Gazmanov's "Sdelan v SSSR", which is rhythmically quite reminiscent of
> Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" but philosophically is probably its
> opposite: http://www.miditext.ru/lyrics/ru/04/madeinussr.html ?

> __________________________
>  Alina Israeli
>  LFS, American University