Nochnoi dozor film release in U.S.

Jeanette Owen Jeanette.Owen at ASU.EDU
Wed Jun 8 21:03:22 UTC 2005

The NY Times online has an ad the release of "Nochnoi dozor" in the U.S.
The trailer is up on the web at the following address:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/

The official website has a small set of photos, some bios of the
director and actors, a forum, and so on.

The site says the film will be showing in select cities in the U.S.
starting July 29th, though it does not specify which cities.

Just to complain a bit, can anyone tell me why the film studio would use
a botched mix of Latin and Cyrillic characters to give the feel of an
authentic Russian title instead of simply using the real title in
Cyrillic? I can't see that what they have would make any more sense to
someone who doesn't read Russian than the real Russian.

Jeanette Owen
Assistant Professor of Russian
Department of Languages and Literatures
Arizona State University