translating colloquial word

Steven Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Tue Jun 14 05:42:22 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues:

Does anyone out there know a good English equivalent for KHMYR'?***  Is it possible
that "Sad Sack" would work?  Or "Poor Sap"?

Although a number of dictionaries I looked at seem not to include the word at all, I have
a general impression it means a hapless fellow, a loser, someone who messes up
anything he gets into.  In other words, an individual who can be counted on to snatch
defeat from the jaws of victory.  If that's so, then perhaps it's similar to "Sad Sack" or
"Poor Sap" in English?
_ _ _  _

 *** In my Russian film studies I've run across this curious word, used like a name, on
two  occasions :  (1) SCHASTIE ('35 Medvedkin), where Khmyr' is played by Petr Zinov'ev);
(2) DZHENTELMENY UDACHI ('71 Seryi), Khmyr' played by the late Georgii Vitsin).

Gratefully,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.